Tuesday, October 2, 2012

BITX20 - 18. VFO at 14 MHz....

Last Saturday i got my potentiometers which i ordered. WOW fast delivery this time from China. Just 6 weekdays. So needles to say I started to work on the VFO again.

The strange thing I had is that my VFO was at around 12 MHz. Which of course is too low :)
The only thing I could think off was the toroid I had wound to be wrong. After checking it turned out to be according to what IK3OIL writes in his building instructions......
Well almost.... it says to use 0.5mm diameter wire... which i did not have , so i used something slightly thicker... well twice as thick.....

As the instructions show that if you use less windings , the frquency will go up , i started to remove one winding at a time.... And i got it to get to 14 MHz!!
But as i had to remove too many windings to my liking, i decided to get me some 0.5 wire.
So that's now ordered, and as the eBay wrote me yesterday, sent allready as well :)

I checked all other components as well and I noticed that IK3OIL thinks that C8 needed to be 60pf ceramic, so as Saturday is a ham parts fair again , I will look for that as well.
I'm not really sure why this is though... the normal trimmer I used seemed to work OK.

I hope this all will "solve" my "problem" :)

Will keep you all posted... until the next post!

Alex
PA1SBM

No comments:

Post a Comment