Sunday, January 11, 2015

PC headset interface for ham tranceivers.....

Hello all,

A while back I wanted to have a Heil headset.... They look awesome, are very high quality and just are one of the best you can get...
With off course two downside..... you did not build anything yourself, and the price can be a lot of money for a person.... they are not dirt ass cheap.... (for a reason though, see the first comments)

For me , the first reason was the most important. As I know (and have seen) that headsets have a limited lifespan, I wanted to build something that would make replacing the headset when my desk chair rolls over it very cheap....
And I came up with the thought that a PC headset should be as good as well.... and a lot cheaper....

So after discussing this on the local repeater which I use in the morning driving to work, Gerard (PE1OUD) told me he had some schematic from somewhere  that worked well for him, but was for a FT879,  and he had no idea if this would work on a TS-480... so he send me this by mail....


As we were all in assumption this should work on any/most transceivers I started to build this
So I made this , and i made it into a nice housing.....
And this is what it turned out to be...... The Headset interface 001 by PA1SBM Design  



And open it looks like.....



I did tests with Hans PD0AC and Tom PA2TSL, and due to them living wayyy to close to me I had to turn off all audio processing cause it was just too loud... after I did that, on SSB, FM and AM it sounds very good. I use a dirt cheap Logitech H110 headset on these tests.

You wil notice that I used proper mono audio signal cable for the audio lines inside the interface box.
The cables from and to the PCB both go through ferrit clamps to make sure the RF stays out.
All the other cables I use have no ferrit beads or clamps on them and it works fine like this.... 
There will be one more addition when I get the material... I will coat the inside with adhesive copper shielding. just to make sure all the HF stays out of this box as my transceiver is next to it , and the antenna's are just on the other side of the wall from my shack.

This will be a very nice addition to have when working you all in the PACC contest :)

73's
Alex
PA1SBM

1 comment:

  1. Hi Alex
    Really nicly finished interface. How did you print the faceplate ???

    ReplyDelete