Tuesday, February 5, 2013

1st experiences fiddling around with my 1.8kHz filter

I have no audio clips yet, but i have been playing around with the different settings.
Some things did not  work the way i assumed they would be.

  1. A filter screws up your audio quality...
    No, the DSP in the 480 has enough power to keep the signal sounding normal.
    The people do not sound nasal at all.
    just add/remove some high/low and the signal sounds like your used to.
  2. You wont hear the nearby signals anymore....
    No, you will still hear then , just a lot, i mean A LOT less.....
    Especially with a strong signal, when you punch in the ATT you will really hear the difference.
These are for me 2 huge huge HUGE advantages.....

Also the overall feeling of the receiver becomes more calm, not really sure how to explain...
I'll try to make it more clear when i have the time to make some audio clips.
Especially when listening to the 40m band it's an awesome thing to have in your set. Stations become more distinct and clear.

Yes its expensive, but after 3 days i already forgot the price ;)

73's
Alex

1 comment:

  1. Good morning Alex, yes good filtering is very nice and int he long run well worth the price. I find that without the nice filtering listening the the radio ( as you said 40m) can become both frustrating and make you very tired over a short period of time. I am a CW op and have my rig loaded up with nice filtering as I do contesting and it can get very crowded at times.
    Mike

    ReplyDelete