Sunday, May 19, 2013

Linux in your shack....

The title, "Linux in your shack" could/shoud have some other title's then this for what this post is going to be about....
  • New competition for HRD
  • Linux now good enough for all kinda HAM's
  • CQRLOG... omg !
Let's start with some background about me... I am a IT consultant, and i do this for most platforms available today, window, Mac and most UX flavours. I even remember some OS/390 and mainframe from the days. The reason I made the choice not to be a windows only consultant is.... well i just don't like to use windows.... I love it because it makes sure I have a nice income and plenty of work.

So do i use windows in the shack.... Yes i do.... Do i like it... no not at all....
Then you all probably wonder why i did not throw windows out and installed Linux.
 Well for 1 reason... I use Ham Radio Deluxe 5.... Which is in my opinion the best all in one free (wel version 5 is) solution for a ham. Or isn't it....

There already was a really nice alternative on the MAC, being MacLoggerDX
The people at "dog park software ltd" made a realy nice piece of software.
But it will cost you 95USD (which is not bad tbh as HRD6 is 99.95 )

But now for linux...
I tried to find a good replacement for HRD for a long while now and i did not find anything near to HRD. This does not mean i did not find any good software on linux, just not 1 program (or set of programs that communicate together)  that will do everything. Until a few days back....
I stumbled on CQRLOG ,  don't ask me how, but i did...

Now.... CQRLOG.... this piece of software has been developed by 2 Czech Hams...
Petr, OK2CQR and Martin, OK1RR, and they made what I think is the 1st real alternative for HDR for when you want to swap to linux.
Now for screen shots look at their website. The screen shots  show a part of what the program can do.
User screen shots are there as well and look awesome

Yes, CQRLOG has (almost) all!! Log, cluster, rig and rotor control, QRZ and HAMQTH, LotW/eQSL, and the list goes on and on .....

Now, the main thing with linux.... installing niece software can be a pain in the a$$.
Is this the case with CQRLOG.... uhmmm yes and no.
I installed it on Debian Weezy (7) and all went fairly smooth until i started to do rig control.
I forgot to add my non root user to the dailout group. and the debian installer does not do this for you!
Now i imagine this is the same for ubuntu, but i don't use that.
So after smacking myself over the head (which did not help my headache) I added myself to the dailout group , and tried the whole install again..... and it worked immediately!

Now the last remark i am gonna make..... on their website you will find this piece of text....
 Anyway, CQRLOG is here and is for you. Try it out and if you decide to stay with this logger, we will be pleased. Of course, it will be very heartwarming if CQRLOG will became the reason to leave Windows and migrate to Linux.

Petr and Martin, if it is the reason to migrate to linux, i don't know... But with your piece of software, 1 main reason for me to stay on windows, just disappeared....

p.s. no they did not pay me or gave met shares in their compagny ;)

73's
Alex
 


4 comments:

  1. I still have to install it... keep us posted.

    Hans

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can try Fldigi also, v. good for digimodes.
    73

    ReplyDelete
  3. Installed it. Works great! More options then I imagined. Still have to explore all the options and get fldigi to work with CQRlog. But I like it already.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah i use it more and more too, and i do find things i woul like changed and would like to have added... When i browse their forum, i see i am not the only one...

      Delete